Saturday, March 24, 2018

A Marvelous Marble Refashion

This is one of those refashions of a refash. This dress was handmade by someone and thrifted by ME!
As you can see, this does nothing for me…
Onto the chopping block! I chopped off the length of the dress to make it a tunic.
I hemmed the bottom of my tunic.
It is hard to see the detail of the dress in the before picture but it had a diagonal flap of fabric across the chest. I used the scrap of fabric from the bottom of the dress to make another flap of fabric across the chest.
Lastly, I made a cut down the middle of the neckline and folded the sides back to create a v-neck. I stitched that down. I also shortened the sleeves to just about the elbow and POOF!
A new tunic!
Happy Refashioning!!!
Check out my stash of refashions on my blog

Friday, March 23, 2018

No time to waist


I bought this skirt from a local charity shop, I liked the colour and design but it was a size too small.

Due to the flared shape this could be fixed by taking a couple of inches off the waist.

More of a resizing than a refashion.

There were very slippery but lovely silk fabric panels with a nice flared  band around the bottom.

Sometimes the deconstruction of a garment can be quite interesting as unexpected elements appear from within.

I turned the waist under a couple of cm simultaneously making the skirt shorter and bigger.

There are more details and photos here

The Gray Spring Dress

Hello Refashion Co-op. I am having a cold, gray, snowy spring so far. It gave me some extra time to sew because we were snowed in for 2 days. I got to work on this gray dress. It was a nice knit but it was too big and the neckline was too low.

There was seam running down the back of the dress that I used as a guide to take the dress in. I took out about 4 inches. I didn't want the dress to be tight just a little smaller.

I noticed that the dress was uneven in length so I was careful when I shortened it to make it even all the way around. 

The dress fit much better now but it still needed a belt to look it's best. You can see the fabric I cut off the bottom laying in a circle on the floor around the dress. I had a plan for that circle of fabric. I will show you that next time.

Thanks for reading, for more pictures and details go to I Can Work With That.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Resizing and updating a fit and flare dress

I am back! I have finally sat by the sewing machine again.

This cute dress was two sizes too big. I had already begun the resizing process, when I remembered to take photos. Here it is pinned in the back.

- I took it in along the mid back.
- And in the seams at the front sides.

The dress was still too large in the area between bust and neck.

I decided to make a neckline slit. I could use it to remove some of the extra width, and the slit would also provide the visual separation of the bust, which is flattering when you have a larger bust.
- I cut the slit and removed a cake-piece-shaped slice of fabric.

When you redesign a neckline, the advantage of making a slit is that you don't need more of the same fabric. The slit needs a facing, but it can be made of a different fabric, as it will be on the wrong side, and only peek out a tiny bit.

- I stitched the facing on, turned it to the wrong side, and topstitched it.
- I sewed on hook and eye. You can leave it unbuttoned for a more relaxed styling.

- Lastly I shortened the dress by 9 cm (3 35/64").

I wasn't completely sure the neckline slit would work as I thought, so I didn't make a tutorial. But it worked perfectly.
So I will do the slit trick with another dress I have, which has the same problem - and make a tutorial for you.
More photos of the process on my blog:

Sunday, March 18, 2018


As in, Keep It Simple, Sewist.

This was originally a cardigan, and I had it sitting on Gabbi there for a very long time trying to decide what to do with it.  The sleeves were the problem - they stretched out and looked awful within an hour of wearing.  It didn't help I push my sleeves up a lot, but even so.

I came up with a whole lot of different ideas of fixing them: ruching, shortening and adding tabs, elasticising the cuffs... because I don't do sleeveless, I just don't like that on me.

And then it finally occurred to me - it's not like I'm ever going to wear this on its own, on account of it has no front closure (that's not me either!).  So if the other item had sleeves - good to go!  So off they came.  I tried unpicking the seam (nightmare) so in the end just cut them off with a 1cm allowance and hand sewed that down to neaten up the armhole - simples.

And sorry there are no before shots.  I did take some, but my computer recently died on me and the before photos are now missing.
Happy sewing!